The tiny house trend is growing in Texas and throughout the rest of the country, with home insurance companies seeing more and more requests for insurance to cover them.

Every tiny house needs some type of homeowners insurance; however, getting them covered appropriately can be challenging primarily because they are very different than any standard house or dwelling out there.

To ensure proper coverage, it’s important to work with a homeowners insurance agency that has experience covering these dwellings to be sure yours is protected should it become damaged.

Tiny Homes - A Home or A Vehicle?

As fun and functional as they may be, one of the biggest challenges that owners of tiny homes face is getting homeowners insurance for them since they are often both a house and a vehicle.

Tiny houses are many times classified as an RV since they are similar; however, the difficulty arises because many people want to live in theirs full-time while RVs and RV insurance policies are designed for vehicles only used occasionally for part-time living accommodations on the road.

Because tiny homes can be moved, it also does not typically qualify as a standard house.

What Types of Coverage Does A Tiny Home Need?

Tiny houses are different than both traditional houses and RVs in many ways, which means they require unique home insurance coverage that will protect your investment from the building process to when you finally live in it:

  • Building Insurance - If you are working with a contractor to build your own tiny home, it’s a good idea to get builder’s insurance just as you would when building a traditional home. This insurance covers stolen materials, damage to the home while it’s being built, and more.

  • Towing Coverage - Any tiny home on wheels must be insured for towing and transportation any time it is moved somewhere. This can sometimes be obtained as RV insurance or as a rider on the auto policy for the towing vehicle if it's your personal vehicle.

  • Personal Property Coverage - Houses that are not on a permanent foundation are considered personal property rather than real estate; however, if it is on a foundation, some home insurance agencies might consider it actual real estate and apply a standard homeowners policy.

Finding the Best Tiny House Insurance

The biggest challenge in finding complete insurance for your Texas tiny home is finding a homeowners insurance agency that understands the type of protection these dwellings need so your investment is properly protected.

Many companies will not cover them at all and others have specific rules about where they can be parked, whether or not you can live in them full-time, and the risks they are willing to cover.

Considering how many homeowners insurance companies view these dwellings as RVs, it’s highly recommended that you purchase one that is NOAH and RVIA certified or have your custom built tiny home certified, as these two certifications ensure your dwelling is structurally sound and has been built according to approved building codes.

Choose A Homeowners Insurance Agency That Knows Tiny Homes

Fortunately, as they are becoming more popular in Texas and throughout the U.S., getting home insurance for a tiny home is slowly getting easier as more homeowners insurance agencies are starting to figure out what coverage they need and just what risks these dwellings present.

Some homeowners insurance companies are adding tiny home policies to their offerings or helping owners create custom policies as needed.

There are also a few services that now have special tiny home packages that provide all the coverage you could need for your portable dwelling.

Just keep in mind the various coverages you need for your tiny house, be aware most are considered personal property and not real estate, and be sure you purchase the right policies!

Need Home Insurance For A Tiny Home In College Station?

Contact Jones & Associates For All Types Of Homeowners Insurance!

Call (979) 599-7532 Today!